Sunday, 4 May 2014

Further Samples

I continued experimenting with traditional techniques including knit, crochet and weave to create further samples and I used low-tech and other unusual materials such as garden twine, plastic straws, rubber bands, metal wire, bin liner,  garden fencing and paper clips. 
I enjoyed the challenge of transforming these everyday items into pieces where the materials origin is hardly recognisable. As I create more samples, I can experiment with shape and form, and think about how the samples could adorn a body or stand alone as textile 'sculptures' or structures. 
By using photography I can consider in what ways I can animate the samples  and develop them further, incorporating light and motion. The forms of these samples suggest movement to me and by suspending them in different ways and in varied positions they would move in relation to these things. The straws, for example, would move in a spiral rotation if suspended from one end. I could attach them to a motor and record how they move, through film and still photographs. I could also use a wind source (fan) to effect this movement as well. I would also like to incorporate light into these samples, perhaps by combining LED wire or UV sensitive materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment