Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Knit Artist

I have been looking at knitwear designers that use combinations of sheer and dense fabrics together, layering of fabrics and surface decoration. In my own knit swatches I have used techniques to create pattern and interesting combination of weights, with a variety of textures and yarns of very different qualities, from sheer to heavier fibrous yarns. I like the patchwork quality of Rodarte, using sheer, opaque and dense fabrications in one garment. Knit is used in combination with other fabrics, creating even more texture. I find the asymmetric quality of all these garments interesting and effective. 

 Central Saint Martin 
 Tess Giberson
Rodarte

Although Mandy Pattello is not a knit artist, I have taken inspiration from the composition of her embroideries for my knit. I like the way she layers pieces of fabric in a slightly haphazard way, which gives the pieces a naive and loose aesthetic.




I have initially responded to her work through photocopying my knit and creating painted collages which I will then interpret into knit. Her work gave me the idea of overlaying separate pieces of knit by latching them on using the latch tool. The linear floral embroidery she uses works well, and I want to interpret this by using the e-wrapping technique to draw the silhouette of a leaf, which will echo my earlier collages using trace paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment